Sunday, February 21, 2010

How the cookie crumbles.

We can stay a little longer, however it will be a daily rate. This definately gives us plenty of motivation to hustle.

Neil has done a wonderful job welding the bimini rails together. He has made it so stout that you can stand on it with extra weight, hang a hammock from it if you wanted to, and it won't budge. He has almost finished with the dinghy davits and is still trying to decide exactly how to mount the radar dome and wind generator without anything getting in the way. The challange is to make sure that our windvane auto pilot is not sheltered at all, as we intend on using it much more than the electric auto pilot. We had a few issues with our tri-gas tanks for the mig welder not being filled properly earlier in the week which made for a lot of time wasted going back and forth. Not to worry though as they gave us a 5 1/2 foot tall tank, properly mixed on the house! :0) Between that and 10lbs of stainless wire, I think we will not have to worry about that untill it is finished. On Friday we picked up close to 100 ft of steel to finish things off. We went ahead and sold our aluminum skiff and motor. That 25hp was a bit too much for the inflatable.

I was dreading looking for a 4 stroke 15 hp that was in near new condition or having to haggle with the salesmen for a good or reasonable price for one. ( although I am getting better at this one! ) The day we went to put the engine back on the aluminum skiff so we could "show the boat", there was a note taped inside on the seat. It said something like, "Looks like you could use a nice 4 stroke 15hp engine to go on the back here. I have one, give me a call." You bet your bottom I did! Friday afternoon, we picked up an incredible engine that was used only a "hand full" of times. The gentleman who sold it to us said, "Ya know, I have never done that before. I have never put a note like that on someone elses boat, but I felt compelled to." We were glad he did. Isn't it amazing how the big guy works?

We had hopes to be out of here sooner, but for whatever reason we are being kept here just a little longer. However we absolutely have to shove off this week even if all the sewing isn't finished. Speaking of which...

...I had to purchase a new sewing machine as my old faithfull "Singer" sewing machine had passed away.*sniff* I have been practicing with a new hatch cover and wind sock for our V Berth hatch. I plan to make propane tank covers for our new lightweight fiberglass tanks. By the time I finish with those I hope to have all the kinks worked out. The thread for the heavy weight Sunbrella fabric is thick polyester. Unlike any I have used before so it has to be wound just right or else it makes a huge mess....don't look too close at my hatch cover!haha. I am getting the hang of it though.

Growing up I spent more time in the shop with my dad working with wood and greasy things. My mother with al her patience tried to teach me to sew. I think I made a few doll blankets. I am good with squares and rectangles! (hatch cover)I am regretting not sitting down with her more often to learn as she was and is an amazing seamstress. However, the woodworking has come in quite handy. You are never too old to learn as long as you can get passed the being stubborn part of it that makes it hard to "listen" to suggestion. I am hoping to overcome that. Correction. I will overcome that; with my sanity fully intact!! (that is where the "hopefully" will come in).

No comments: