Friday, March 26, 2010

Sewing and stuff

We are halfway done with the hard dodger. One more layer of glass and she will be ready for primer and paint. The windows have been cut out and the new ones have been ordered to match our others. It should look really nice, just a bit of tint, and they will be nice and big! We will bolt them in like we did the others. I will sew on a piece that will run from the dodger to the bimini frame that will have a "peep" window for checking sails. It will also have a cover that snaps in and out to block the sun if needed.

I have been doing our sewing and have also picked up a little side work doing small canvas works and various other sewing projects. For a person who doesn't care for sewing I am certainly getting my feet wet! I have learned alot and it is getting much easier. "Practice makes Perfect." (ugh! ha ha)

Today I amd going to sew in the vinyl windows on the side panels. The wind will hopefully settle down enough for me to set things up without feeling like I am trying to fly a kite! Than I have to wait for more fabric to arrive. I didn't realize it would take so many yards to complete it all. Who would have thought that 15 yards would not be enough....probably everyone but me? haha. This time I am getting 25 yards. More than enough and I can keep it on hand for whatever should arise. I still need to make the back panel, engine covers, a cover for the new raft, and may use some for our interior cushions. I would also like to make canvas that would snap in to the kids beds so that it "slings" them so that they don't roll out while we are heeling over. Projects!

We picked up an 8 man inflatable life raft. It is an ememergency raft that automatically deploys(kind of like an airbag and sits in a small case on top of the boat) in case we run into trouble and start to sink. It has a dome over top...very nice and I am very thankful we were able to get one for a great price. It will have emergency gear including first aid, food, water, flares..etc.. packed inside.

We went ahead and bought the new batteries so we can start off with "freshies." I am relieved as I really don't think that they would ever fully charge again. These new ones are waranteed far better than the old ones and that will take the worry out of the picture. A new charger will be purchased, as well, eliminating any chance of the overcharge issue that boiled our last set.

Our friends Ralph and Bud are putting together a little BBQ this weekend so that the whole crew can get together before we head out. What a sweet bunch of guys!

I was told by Jose at West Marine yesturday that they think it will be 3 months before we are gone...I really hope he will be proved wrong! :0)

Either way, we are staying busy with work, both on our boat and Michaels's boat. We are getting closer and closer each day and we are thankful for every day that we have to all be together with family and friends.

No comments: