Tuesday, May 31, 2011

memorial day weekend

We had a relaxing holiday weekend. We got to see Stewart working his "skills" in the local skate park. We did get to see that "yes" you can grow big leafy plants on the water, but with further investigation, we realized that this was no tomato plant. This 6 foot tall beauty was of the five leaved kind! Only in California? Anymore, I am not so sure, but funny nonetheless.

We learned that the guy in the plane who was making what we thought were peace signs were actually X's with circles around them to promote the "X Men" movie. After a few attempts he was doing pretty good.

The dog's went crazy running from one end to the other barking and jumping up on the bimini to let everyone know that this was their backyard and tresspassors were prohibitted! Even with the threat of the water pistol they just couldn't help themselves as people in kayaks, skiffs, jets ski's and all sorts were with feet of our moored vessel. With all the water traffic, overcrowded beach, and a lot of drunks we thought we would just stay put and watch "the show."

As far as Stewart goes, he  has only just begun skating but can allready move around the bowl with ease and is learning new tricks everyday. It is nice having it just feet from the shoreline. If I wasn't so old I would jump in there myself, but since I remember what a broken bone feels like, I will sit out and stick to an occasional sidewalk surfing via a cushy longboard. I get my kicks from my little 150, and yes Joyce, I CAN do it in a skirt! haha.

Neil is going to the doctors for treatment about 2-3 times a week now. It is helping, but we have a long way to go. I forgot to tell you that I did buy a trinket of sorts in Tijuana, a butterfly ring for a whopping $1.60 US. Not bad I thought and I am a sucker for butterflys!

Neil and I are thankful to have a wonderful farmers market that comes just around the corner on the water's edge close to the ferry terminal every Tuesday. I love helping to support the local farmers and the like and to me, as I love fruits and veggies, feel like a kid in the candystore every week. (even with my old lady cart-hey those veggies can get heavy, haha!) I can usually get a weeks worth of produce for less than $50......

Why all the prices in the blog lately? I have been asked a few times to give some pricing just to get an idea of how much it takes to live in southern cal on the water....maintenance, mooring, etc...

Until we drop down into Mexico, as always, we are having as much fun as we can with life in general and as said so many times before...everyday is a gift, and everyday is special!

Now for the photo show:









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool. Love the pictures of Stewert jumping. Looks like alot of fun. Glad things are going better for Neil. And dang on that plant. I did not know you could grow one of those plants on your boat. I'd be afraid of having my boat taken away because of It. NOT taking a chance of that. I havent smoked for 17+yrs. I'm sure It would kill me if I did it. THANKS FOR SHARING your life with us. Keep up the GREAT WORK... Vicki and Mike

Anonymous said...

Opps please forgive my miss spellings. I forgot to check it

Barry & Joyce said...

Hi Guys and Dolls, the photo of the fruit and veggie hammock is proof you are testing the weight limits. Time to eat an apple.
You also have a new cover photo on Sailing Handfull home page. Very nice. The boom is sheeted out and do you have the "flopper stopper," keeping the boat stabble? And how much did you give for that tool? Mine was $40.00 Ha ha. I bring that up because it is the only item I got cheeper than you guys. If you bring up how much you gave for self steering I will not answer.Barry