Sunday, May 1, 2011

old friends meet

We were thrilled to meet up with some old friends who had left Half Moon Bay a long while ago to go on their own sailing adventures that ended up with them in South America. They (Kimberly, Steven and Cullem) have returned for a short while to get some of their affairs in order with hopes of returning to do some more of the same. Their son, Cullem, was and still is, a good friend of Katie and Stewart. While we lived in Half Moon Bay they would get together often to "play" (now it is called "hanging out" or so I have been informed!). Although us parents were hit and miss with the chatting due to "schedules" we did get to know them briefly before they left to head south. It was great to see them all and hear some of the tremendous tales from their lives since they left. I hope we can get together again soon before they leave to go back to their boat.

Since they have family here in San Diego, the kids were invited to go to inland for a sleep over. Neil and I took the boat back down the coast together for what was the first time ever without the kids. It did make me want to re-think getting a bigger boat as having a smaller one makes for an easy time with just two people and I know it wouldn't be the same on a larger vessel.

The kids got a special treat as the family members had somewhat of a reptile farm which included some  Galapagos turtles, various snakes, both poisonous and not, some rabbits, chickens and lizzards to name a few. I guess the big turtles were in the process of laying eggs and Cullem was in charge of collecting them and taking them to an incubater. They keep them and raise them until they are old enough to leave the nest so to speak. The little babies looked so cute. Katie informed me that there was also a rooster that tended to take great pleasure in stalking them around the little farm and was a very early riser...waking them a few hours before the sun was up! I was a bit jealous when they came home this evening and showed me some of the pictures but so glad they got to go, hang out and play games. Besides it would have been so hard not to try and ride one! haha.

The weather has been abolutely gorgeous...ya ya broken record I know, but it has and I have just enjoyed being outdoors so much this last week. Between swimming, diving, sailing and driving around on my little scooter it has been so lovely. I am a turning into a little copper colored water bug and so is everyone else!

And now for the pics.....








No comments: