Monday, June 7, 2010

A Boat Load of Projects

Monday was such a good day!

I got so much sewing done. We got the windows in the dodger (although is still needs sanding and epoxy primer and pain to be complete)..and it was amazing. The wind was ripping in the marina and we put them in and wow, we have shelter! You have no idea how exciting it was for me. We have been exposed to the elements for so long. The wind, the rain, the spray...the sun never bothered me but when it hits 120'F I am sure I will be glad I have the cover up!

No more ugly green/brown tarp over the dodger structure. Neil put handles on the sides as well. We chose smoky glass for the windows that are still light enough to see clearly at night.

I checked my mail this morning and thought that the email from Joyce and Barry was so cute that I have to share it.

An excerpt from Barry's email is as follows: (thanks to copy and paste).

"Btw I never did tell you a story of our early days of trying to figure out just what would be necessary for a boat to venture out into the seas. This one fella in a seminar read off a list of stuff that was mind boggling and one of the items he felt was high on his list was a BAR. Well I thought that was kind of strange thing to say and I was looking around to see if someone was going to raise their hand and ask why a B.A.R was needed. Nobody did so I raised my hand and the instructor smiled and I knew I was had. Well it turns out that a bar is an acronym (sp), for big ass radio. And now I own one. Barry."

Things to Do:

We still have to decide whether or not to get the EPIRB or not. We still need to get things together like a ditch bag, another hand held radio, newer offshore life jackets with the ring for tethering, an engine tune up, storage gone through and emptied (anyone looking for tools let me know!), a car to sell, a visit to the vet for Daisy, most of the extra tools and equipment not needed anymore to be removed from the boat, and some miscellaneous “extra’s” for things in case they break. You always hear stories about people’s toilets are the first to go once they leave…although I think this is due in part by people using them like a shore head and stuffing way too much paper in…and ah oh, a plugged up nasty mess! We have lived onboard long enough that I don’t foresee this happening but I will still have parts just in case.
This week we look to have the dodger complete. The lines in and the winches relocated to their new resting place behind the dodger. We need to put the new opening port windows with screens in (the small front ones only). I have a bit more sewing to do: sea spray skirts, side doors going from dodger to bimini for total privacy on anchorage (we are basically hoping to have a complete covered porch for sleeping and living when it gets hotter down south – that and we need to have it cool enough so that when we are hanging out in our hammocks, our beer won’t get hot! Haha). I have a few miscellaneous projects inside. Netting, for various things, and a few new covers for the rest of the cushions should finish it up.

We still need to get our food stores, fuel, and relocate the heavier objects to the middle of the boat to balance it out and have our boot stripe showing once again. (I believe it is about a foot under water right now!). We need some fresh paint,(nothing major, but at least cover the fiberglass to keep her protected) another coat or two of varnish, and there is always a half a dozen other last minute things to get or do……oh ya, the fishing stuff!.........study more Spanish..……like I said……haha!

Hi ho Hi Ho it’s off to work we go! How exciting!

No comments: