Sunday, June 6, 2010

Back on Track





(Above are pictures from the Baha Ha Ha courtesy of SV Third Day's Blog).


This Friday was the last day of work on Michael’s boat. It is going to be finished by the local boatyard. Neil and I have done so much work on this project and the fact that we can now work on and finish our boat so we can go is very exciting. Yesterday was spent getting some serious fiber glassing and work done on our new system for keeping all things confined to the dodger area. A little light sanding and tomorrow we should be able to put on the epoxy primer to get her ready for painting. I have made covers for the inflatable fold up dinghy (looks more like a body bag..haha) and for our two new folding bicycles. We purchased these over Memorial weekend and I must say that West Marine makes a pretty decent fold up cycle for under $250. We will be using the "poop" out of them once the car is no longer in our possession. All in all it has been a great feeling knowing that now we can devote our time and energy to our own boat.

This weekend we had a great evening with our new boating neighbors Kara(hope I spelled that right) and her husband Jim on their fabulous power boat along with our other good friend Jim (Wind Warrior). They are a sweet couple and I am glad we got to meet them before we go. He was a helicopter pilot (for Wayne Newton along with a few others!) amongst other things and she was a nurse. This week is their 20th anniversary. I was actually a bit blown away when I realized that Neil and I were going to be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary later this month! (Together 19).

My how time flies! I still feel like a kid most days and my daughter is forever telling me to turn "that noise" down! I can't believe that Neil is "so old" and I am not!..(love you baby) ...haha... even if the mirror shows different. I am so thankful to have spent more time with my husband than I have apart and even more thankful to be getting ready to embark on a tremendous journey with our children.

We have officially decided to do the "Baha Ha Ha" run this year. We hope to be out of the bay within the next 30 days and then spend our "waiting" time coastal cruising and visiting the Catalina Islands and hanging out in a much warmer location before the "Ha Ha" begins. This is kind of neat as we will be able to get a good feel for living "free" and tweak the system if need be before crossing the border. I am also hoping that our good friends Joyce and Barry will be joining us for the "Ha Ha." I am already told that our other friends Lori and husband Tom (SV Camelot) will be going. From F Dock it looks like our friend Alan (on a pretty Beneteau) will be going as well.

After all the "going’s on" Neil said last night was the first night that he was able to sleep all night without disturbance. He equates this to being so relaxed knowing that we will be able to get our boat done, and to be heading out soon!

I would like to try and stick to the June 20th deadline, but know that with "boat works" nothing is set in stone!

Our Genaker should be finished next week. We are going to go ahead and set up a stay sail so we can run two sails off the bow if need be. We saved our old head stay and can re-use her for this purpose. We also saved a few sails from our previous boats that we can use for this as well.

It is all very exciting, especially for the kids who, because of the "Baha Ha Ha", will be able to meet and greet with the other "family" boats and have good kids with common interests to hang out with. Neil and Katie have been looking up the events and rendezvous points associated with the event...It is so great to see them excited and having them "see" it all coming together.

I also have to say that our good friend, Jose, from West Marine in Point Richmond, has been so helpful. I really appreciate all that he has done to help us out, both with our client’s boats and our own. He has become a good friend as well and will be missed but not forgotten. (I will also miss Octavia's spunk and Dave's huge smile).

So this next week will be busy busy busy. (like we weren't before). The weather looks to be in our favor. The typical bay area summer...heavy fog in the AM. and sunshine and heat in the afternoon.

Neil's sister, Stacy, is off for a vacation in the Caribbean this week. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of warm tropical waters and "Island Time." I know she has vacationed before, but.....(We may hook her yet!). :0)

All in all it has been a great start to the week....all the best to all our friends and family this week!

Now for some sleep....

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Hey family, I am home! Back to the rain and cold! NOW I know what it is like to live in flip flops, sand and sun. Our trip was FANTASTIC! Providenciales was amazing!! You guys are really going to see some amazing stuff! I will post all our pictures and videos on Shutterfly soon. I have about 500 of them so it will take me some time to get organized! Love you lots!
Stacy