Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bernard and the long way...

I have been reading Bernard Moitessier's "The Long Way." I have had this book for a while. I have only ever realy read and than re-read the first few chapters...giving up as he seems to be so whiny in these first few chapters. That and I thought maybe he was a little dry....but now, I have had some time, two weeks or so, to be off the boob tube and have had some good sailing time in...and well, I am enjoying it. He goes a little too far into the Budhist approach for me, but I love reading his descriptions of seas, moons, life on, and in the sea, the wind, the noises, the stars, the clouds, the simplicity....I love it and finally understand it better than I did before. As with reading anything on the spiritual side, one must take into account that it is never read the same way twice. (all this and I know I am jonesing for a bit of televison and am happy as can be to have a fully charged PC, but hey...I get it!). I am looking forward to more reading and am a little paranoid about not having enough literature on board to soothe my inner librarian.

I will sink us with books, if given the chance, but I will settle for a select few, plus the good book, and a few just for fun...at one point I shall read Homers Odysey once again and take notes and this time try to remember more detail. I have a few lovely Impressionist's art books along with several sea novels and spiritual journeys to read about.

I will take donation and reccomendations on a few good ones to take with me....

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi family,

It is so exciting to watch your journey from afar. I have been so busy with the new job. I am finally back home today after a trip to Seattle. I have been reading your blogs on my Blackberry. Watch out for those sting rays... ha, ha. It made the national news today.

You should post a map showing your trip as you go.

Love you guys!

Stacy

Stacy said...

Tiff,

Don't forget you are welcome to use my Audible account for books you can listen to. Feel free to download whatever you want!

Stacy

Stacy said...

...one more thing.

Call me on Skype sometime. I even have the video now. stacy.knapp10

handfull said...

Stacy,
Thank you! I will check into that..never realized how often I take for granted having the local library close by, nor how much I really read! I hope you have great success with your new position and am so very proud of you. I think once we get away from this area we will be using the SSB more than likely and that will add our location to track...enough said...miss you! and Love You Too!~Tiffin